Sunday, June 17, 2012

"The Music Man"

I think I've got it down.  Beginning in 2008 with the bank, mortgage company, car dealership bail outs which affected the economy nationwide, I started feeling a crunch on my own piano teaching business.  It had not seemed an issue before, but suddenly I was having troubles getting piano students.  Suddenly teachers with little to no education or musical experience were able to attract the students.  I considered charging less money, but the idea was revolting, considering I felt I was charging too little already. 

The problem was how to convince people that paying a higher price for piano lessons would be worth it to them.  I experimented with different angles, different techniques, several failures, and a few successes.  Basically, I had to figure out how to meet with the parents and students and "close the sale." 

What it came down to was a strategy where I present to the customer (musician) how my studio is organized and run - what they can expect.  I go over my studio policies statement and explain it in detail.  This is not anything new.  I've used this statement for years.  I include my business card and my credentials:  B.Music, M.Music, NCTM, MTNA, UFMC.  I make sure they know that I have the knowledge behind me to do the job.  That is what's different.  Previously I hadn't advertised my credentials enough. 

Then, and this is a very new part, I sit the potential student at the piano, they play for me what they can, and I critique their performance.  I compliment them on what they can do well, and I make sure they know I recognize their efforts in good musicianship.  Then, I teach them things they've never heard of before:  balance, evenness, steadiness in playing, slurring, voicing, etc.  I drop as many performance terms as I think will let them know what I can do for them. 

Despite my aversion to salesmen, I have become one myself.  The difference between me and the ordinary salesman out there is that I am honest with them.  They are always doing something right in their playing, and I always can do something for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment